Employee Recognition In The Workplace: A GuideOctober 17, 2023
Categorised in: Employee Wellbeing
Employees are the lifeblood of a business, working every single day to drive the business forward and meet objectives. With this in mind, it’s no surprise that organisations are constantly looking for ways to improve performance, retain talent and build a positive work culture.
What Is Employee Recognition In The Workplace?
Employee recognition is the acknowledgement and gratitude shown to staff for their hard work, dedication and performance. This recognition can come in many forms, from financial incentives to verbal praise.
The core aim of employee recognition in the workplace is to spotlight staff members who go above and beyond for the company and ensure they know their efforts do not go unnoticed.
Why Is Employee Recognition In The Workplace Important?
When employees feel like their work is valued, it fosters a positive workplace culture, boosts engagement, and encourages further effort and productivity — both from the employee being recognised and the wider team.
There are also many more important benefits to employee recognition in the workplace, including:
- Increased morale: Recognising accomplishments boosts an employee’s self-esteem and job satisfaction and demonstrates how much the company values their hard work.
- Better retention: Employees are more likely to stay with an organisation where they feel appreciated.
- Promotes teamwork: Public employee recognition in the workplace can help to set an example and encourage a culture of supporting one another.
- Improves employee wellbeing: Feeling valued at work improves mental health, reducing stress and absenteeism.
How To Show Employee Recognition In The Workplace
Effective staff recognition doesn’t always have to be a grand gesture or a costly investment. Here are some ideas on how organisations can show employees appreciation and recognise their hard work:
- Verbal praise: Simple yet effective, a “well done” or “great job” from upper management can make an employee’s day. It’s instant, costs nothing and can have a significant impact.
- Written recognition: If an employee goes above and beyond, send out a company-wide email acknowledging achievements or give shout-outs in team meetings. You can also consider a ‘recognition board’ where employees can celebrate their colleagues’ achievements.
- Financial incentives: Monetary rewards like bonuses or gift cards are an excellent way to acknowledge an employee’s contribution. These can be regularly scheduled (such as quarterly or at the end of the year) or ad hoc.
- Team lunches or outings: These can be a great way to celebrate team accomplishments, promote camaraderie, and show recognition to the team as a whole.
- Employee benefits: Investing in employee wellbeing by offering unique benefits like private GP phone consultations, extra paid leave, or perks like gym memberships is a great way to recognise employees and support their wellbeing.
Employee recognition in the workplace is crucial for retaining top talent and fostering a more productive, happier, and, ultimately, more successful workplace.
If you’d like to improve your employee recognition in the workplace strategy by offering unique benefits, get in touch with us at HIVE360 here to discover how our benefits app can drive employee engagement and retention within your organisation.